I'm telling you, this is my longest post yet. ~N~
From Reporter John Smith:
Today, at about 9:00 AM, N claims to have found a big, nasty, green and purple caterpillar. We have interviewed her and this is what she says:
Well, this morning while S and I were waiting for someone to pick us up to go to something, S saw something nasty crawling next to one of the pots in our front yard. I saw it too and we both ran screaming into the house.
"EEWWW!!! WE SAW A CATERPILLAR! IT WAS SO NASTY!"
"IT'S LIKE A CENTIMETER THICK!"
Then we carefully came back out again and looked at it. It was still there, crawling. I got a twig from the ground and tried to pick it up. But the caterpillar was too heavy and it squirmed nastily and fell off.
S went to go get a jar to put it in. I took it and tried to scoop up the crawling caterpillar. It squirmed and curled up. (Even its squirming was scary!) I finally got it in the jar, along with some rocks. Then we started to find a bigger container for the caterpillar. S finally found a Lychee Jelly container. It was a good size, maybe 7" by 5". We put in some rocks and leaves, and a stick.
Just then, the person came to pick us up. We put the jar and container next to the stairs, and our final message was, "No one touch it!"
*** (Two Hours Later...)
Well, when we came back at about 11 something, the first thing we thought about was.....the nasty catty! (I'll just call it that from now on, until I tell you its real name.)
H said he had searched up 'nasty green and purple caterpillars' and he got a result. He said the catty was a tomato hornworm. Well, no wonder it was in the garden! My tomato plant was on the wall.
S did some research and found out that the worm had to be in a container filled with dirt. So we took the lychee container and emptied all the rocks and sticks out. We filled it with potting mix and put some tomato plant leaves on top. Then we plopped the creepy worm in. (Yes, I will put up pictures!) We put the container on a high shelf in the sunroom. We did a bit more research and found out that the tomato hornworm had to be in a dark place, not exposed to the sun. So we covered the container with a cloth. The worm moved a bit, and later I found it burrowing in the dirt. When I told S, she said,"Oh! Really?! That's cool! That means it's gonna...uh.."
"Turn into a moth?" I finished.
"Yeah!"
So now, it's still there, at the bottom of the container. S said that sometimes they die from burrowing. OMG.
Research says they make great pets!
And that's all N says from her experience with a tomato hornworm. Thank you for reading, and until then, please stay tuned. Thank you.
N's News
Good news! Try to make more.
ReplyDeleteOkey-doke.
ReplyDelete