Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Inchworm, Tomato Hornworm, and Turds.

I found an inchworm yesterday in the 'garden' after watering the plants. It was crawling on a rock. I picked up the rock and lingered around a bit more in the garden in case there were anymore caterpillars around. There weren't, so I went back inside.

H thought the inchworm was just another tomato hornworm but obviously he was wrong. First of all, it didn't have a horn, and second of all, S said that newly hatched tomato hornworm are white or yellow. This inchworm was green. Third of all, tomato hornworms have big heads, and the inchworm had a pretty small head.

Later that day, S found a thready case around the worm. "Oh cool! It's making its cocoon!" S said. "What? Really?! That's awesome!" I said. No wonder it had been moving its head all day.

Also, I found out that my hornworm had turds all over its jar. The turds looked like small blackberries. Seeing them all piled up together was disgusting. I felt like barfing. Ugh. You should've seen it. Get this, I even saw a turd come out of the worm's tocks! It came out and then the slit closed up, quite primly. Yuck. Shortly after that, I found it sleeping, and two turds were stuck to its feet. "Sedapnya tidur, dengan turd turd lagi," said ummi. (Find the translation on Google translate, if you are so inclined.) Later, before abi went to the masjid for Isha, S and I went outside to dump out the turds. S said they looked like little grenades. XD

Ummi said we should have a diary about the caterpillars. So I got my nature journal and made one.

The worms are quite interesting. I can't wait to put up the pictures and videos!

N

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE getting comments, so put 'em here!